Thursday, May 6, 2010

Nana's Muesli

For as long as I can remember, breakfast at my grandparent's house has always been this muesli.  Over the years I have tried out other recipes that are healthier but nothing compares with the taste of nana's muesli - I would rather have a little bit less of something that tastes amazing than a big bowl of something very ordinary.

2 cups rolled oats
1 cup unprocessed bran
1 cup shredded coconut
100g pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup skim milk powder
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup honey
60g butter
1/4 cup oil

Combine all ingredients in a large shallow dish.  Bake uncovered in a slow oven for 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes.  Store in an airtight container.

Serve with fruit and thick greek yogurt.

You could also add dried fruit and/or nuts to this to change the flavour but I don't usually bother.  Add the nuts in the last 15 minutes in the oven so they don't burn, add dried fruit after cooking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment